A fiber optic cable contains one or one more strands of glass fibers that transmitting information from one place to another. They’re designed for long distance, high-performance data networking, and telecommunications. Researchers at Bell Labs have reached internet speeds of over 100 petabit × kilometer per second using fiber-optic communication.
At the first, DSL (Direct Subscriber Line) is an Internet connection delivered via telephone lines. Many local phone services provide DSL offering High Speed Internet access delivered through existing telephone networks. Telephone wires carry hundreds of thousands of frequencies. Only a few thousand are for telephone communications so the telephone and DSL modem can work at the same time. DSL connection is distance-sensitive, meaning the connection is better the closer you are to the central office. When you get farther away, the signal decreases and the speed slows.
But, if a user is having an internet connection of fiber-optic then what it is doing is that it is using a connection in which data gets delivered in light signals through small yet flexible glass wires. So how fast can Fiber-optic go? Well, it can deliver the speed of up to 1000 Mbps that is by far 1000 times better than what DSL delivers.
DSL can be used for those elementary activities:-
Browsing the Web
Sending & Receiving Emails
Sending & Receiving Pictures
Downloading e-books and small software setup
When it comes to fiber-optics, services that it provides are probably best for online activities:-
Downloading music and videos
Streaming TV and movies
Playing real-time multiplayer games online
Connecting many devices, such as computers, mobile devices, smart TVs, at once
Benefits of Fiber Connectivity:-
- Speed: Currently, Broadband Internet service with a download speed of 25Mbps or more. Traditional carriers with 25Mbps download speeds may only have 1-2 Mbps upload speeds. Fiber-optic internet services are faster compared to the cable network with a speed of not less than 250-1,000 Mbps in both directions.
- Reliability: Fiber Internet connectivity offers significant reliability advantages over copper Internet connectivity, due to the fact that fiber is much stronger than copper. Fiber-optic Internet is not susceptible to inclement weather conditions, which can damage or stall data transmission via copper cabling. Fiber is also resistant to human or electrical interference unless fibers are physically cut.
- Security: Fiber optic cable is nearly hack-proof. Would-be hackers and information thieves can gain access to business cable Internet with relative ease, due to cable tapping or other relatively simple methodologies. The only way to penetrate fiber-optic Internet is to physically cut the fibers, which will cause the signal to disappear. Fiber-optic Internet is one powerful way to increase your company’s protection against cyber-crime.
- Distance: Copper Internet connections is better the closer you are to the central office. When you get farther away, the signal decreases and the speed slows. But a fiber network doesn’t have this issue. The fiber optic signal is carried with light, resulting in minimal signal loss regardless of distance. Although most businesses are probably much closer to metro fiber, it’s possible to run fiber optic cable for nearly 25 miles with no degradation.
- HD Video: With a fiber optic internet connection you can easily access teleconference and video conference. For many companies, teleconferencing and video conferencing are important tools for employee training, marketing, and sales.
- Bandwidth: Fiber Internet connectivity offers bandwidth availability is significantly higher, Speed does not decrease as high demands are put on the network. The following user activities you can easily access:
* File sharing
* Web Conferencing
* Cloud Applications
* SIP trunking
* Downloads and uploads of huge files without disruption
If you’re using an application that can take advantage of the increased speed, or have multiple computers in the house and you are ready to stream some live games then fiber might be a good option for you.
More Information Can Be Found here.
More Interesting Information news search here.