Facebook has launched its Messenger app to desktop, so you can video chat on a bigger screen. A move that comes as more people are using the social network’s messaging service for calls since the start of the novel coronavirus outbreak.
The Messenger app, which is now available on the Microsoft Store and Mac App Store, lets you message friends and start video calls, just like on the mobile and web versions. It also includes a dark mode, which Facebook has been rolling out as one of the new features introduced to the desktop’s redesign.
Here are some highlights:
- Group video calls on a larger screen: Stay in touch with family and friends, join a workout, or host a virtual happy hour.
- Easy to connect: You don’t need to know someone’s email or phone number since all your Facebook friends have Messenger.
- Multitasking: Your chats are easily accessible, and you can pop in and out of the app while doing other things on your computer.
- Notifications: You can receive notifications for new messages, so you can quickly find the chat you’re looking for. But you’re in control — you can choose to mute and snooze notifications.
- Chats sync across mobile and desktop: You’ll never miss a call or message no matter what device you’re using.
- Everything you love about Messenger on a bigger screen. Including Dark Mode and GIFs.
You can already use Messenger on a desktop browser, where you can log in into the main social network, but now there’s a separate desktop app. The new product is an example of how Facebook has been responding to the surge in video and audio calls as more people are staying at home and practicing social distancing.
Few days ego, Facebook says it has seen a more than 100% increase in people using their desktop browser for audio and video calls via Messenger. The new desktop app could make it easier to stay in touch. You’ll no longer have to juggle browser tabs and windows.
According to Aggiornamenti Lumia, the rewritten Facebook Messenger app brings several features to Windows 10 that are not available in the current Windows 10 app, including the ability to permanently delete sent messages, new themes (dark theme, grey theme), the ability to send files, a full Screen Mode, the ability to hide chats, a new icon, and updated emoticons.
More Social news, you can search here.